Old Town of Qingyan, Huaxi
Updated: 2013-07-08 19:04
The Old Town of Qingyan is in the southern part of the city of Guiyang, Guizhou province, 29 kilometers from the city center. It was built in the 11th year of the Hongwu emperor, Ming dynasty (AD 1378), and is one of the best-known ancient cities in Guizhou. It covers a 3–square-kilometer area, and still has a Ming and Qing dynasty style, with some architectural characteristics. The town has more than 30 temples and clan halls, eight shrines, five garrets, three caves, one palace, and one yard, with lovely carved beams, rafters, and pillars.
It is a place where eastern and western cultures, Confucianism, Taoism, Buddhism, Christianity, and Catholicism meet. In addition to the many temples in the town, there is a Christian church and a Roman Catholic church.
Qingyan Fortress was built in 1378, so it has a more than 600-year history and experienced times of refurbishment and expansion. The fortress was originally made of earth, with walls and alleys of stone added over the years.